Suntory Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve Single Malt Whisky
Aroma: Strawberry, cherry, Mizunara (Japanese oak). Classic Yamazaki strawberries and dried fruits with floral notes coming from the Mizunara cask whisky. Fragrant sandalwood and maybe coconut. Certainly a whisky where you could get lost in its nose!
Palate: Raspberry, white peach, touch of coconut. The dried berries remain lively on the palate (it even develops some raspberry notes along the way), but they're dialled back a bit to make room for light oak, white peach and a small amount of spice.
Conclusions: Sweet vanilla, clear finish with, hint of cinnamon. Vanilla lasts and lasts, with spicy but sweet cinnamon acting as a final flourish. Top quality Japanese whisky, and excellent value too. Can't go wrong with this, really.
Editor Choice: Released in Spring 2014, this is one of two Distiller's Reserve single malt whiskies from Suntory in Japan. This single malt from the Yamazaki distillery is jam-packed with superb red berry notes, gained from the whisky being matured in Bordeaux wine casks and Sherry casks. It also features malt matured in Mizunara casks, adding subtle fragrant oak notes.
World Whiskies Awards, 2011: Best Japanese Single Malt Whisky 21 Years and Over.
Cocktail Recipe: Highball
1) Fill a glass with ice and let chill
2) Pour chilled whisky in to taste
4) Add chilled soda (3 - 4 parts soda to 1 part whisky)
5) Give a single stir from bottom to top with a bar spoon
6) Add a twist of grapefruit of lemon citrus
Cocktail Recipe: hot Whisky
1) Warm a heat-resistant glass by filling it with hot water
2) Fill the glass one-third to one-quarter with whisky
3) Add two to three times that amount of hot water
4) Stir gently with a bar spoon